YOUR SECURITY ON THE INTERNET
Paying bills and monitoring accounts online offers you the benefit of accessing our office and records seven days a week, 24 hours a day. Please keep in mind the following general tips to help ensure that your online experience is a safe one.
- Use a secure browser. This is the software you use to navigate the Internet. Your browser should comply with industry security standards, such as Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) or Secure Electronic Transaction (SET). These standards encrypt or scramble the purchase information you send over the Internet, ensuring the security of your transaction. Most computers come with a browser already installed. You also can download some browsers for free over the Internet.
- Keep your password(s) private. If required, be creative when you establish a password, and never give it to anyone. Avoid using a telephone number, birth date, or a portion of your Social Security number. Instead, use a combination of numbers, letters and symbols.
- Pay by credit or charge card. If you pay by credit or charge card online, your transaction will be protected by the Fair Credit Billing Act. Under this law, consumers have the right to dispute charges under certain circumstances and temporarily withhold payment while the creditor is investigating them. In the case of unauthorized use of a consumers credit or charge card, consumers are generally held liable only for the first $50 in charges. Some cards may provide additional warranty or purchase protection benefits.
- Keep a record. Be sure to print a copy of your payment and confirmation number for your records.
ONLINE PRIVACY WITH DOUGLAS COUNTY:
- Our office requires only customer information that is needed, and we will tell you how we use it. We request only the information from you that is necessary for us to administer proper payments to your accounts and to fulfill any legal and regulatory requirements. We will gladly provide you any additional information you may request. You can reach our office at 775-782-9018.
Our office uses information security safeguards. No public access to customer data is given. We use standardized encryption security techniques, as provided by our third party vendor VeriSign, to protect your information.
- Would we ever release customer information. This would only occur when required to do so by law or other regulatory authority or when a court order or subpoena requires us to release information (such as a case in which fraud and/or criminal activity is suspected).
to On-Line Payments